WHAT IS ICON? Resin infiltration is a minimally invasive restorative treatment for post-ortho white-spot lesions (WSLs) and certain congenital hypocalcified enamel lesions (“hypo” spots). WSLs are associated with subsurface enamel porosities caused by a cyclical imbalance between demineralization and remineralization of the enamel, resulting from poor hygiene and associated plaque, bacteria and acids. With time, reminerlization at the outer surface of the tooth decreases the access of calcium and other ions to deeper portions of the enamel, eventually arresting the lesion. The lesions look white because there is a scattering of light at the subsurface of the demineralized enamel. Hypo spots, or enamel bruising, are congenital enamel defects often caused by trauma or infection involving the primary teeth.
- one visit
- no “shots” or numbing
- no drilling
- plain pumice is used to clean the teeth
- temporary blanching of gums can occur in lesions close to the gumline
* total process takes approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour *
- much less invasive and less expensive than the alternatives of fillings or veneers
- can be done sooner than other cosmetic options like veneers that you have to wait until growth is complete
- Untreated hypo spots often look worse after bleaching. Hypo spots treated with Icon will whiten similarly to the natural tooth enamel
Does it work?Does it last?
Unlike whitening products, Icon resin infiltration is considering to be a long term treatment solution. Research shows stability for at least 2 years. That being said, we have many patients with stable results for 6+ years.